Wednesday, May 20, 2009

She hasn't taken the ring off since he left her, except for the odd game of netball.


Tortured Gums as rain it falls
basement feet and dirty halls
walking on a silent dark
cigarettes that bite and spark
Overwhelming scent engulfs me
Smokers in the street
grimy sticky pavement moving
underneath my feet

The creatures of my childhood
they beckon for me from the wood
Their teeth they gnash
they dance and sing
tell stories of
the everything.
To jump inside
like bushly gods
to breath fresh air
the ponies plod.

This country place
Nirvana free
with vines and life
by bush and tree
Freedom from the concrete jungle
The one that keeps my mind
the one that locks me in a cage
where smoke begins to bind
my soul to things and people too
the way i ought to be
but none of this at all exists
out here in the country.

I'll sit and watch the afternoon
chased away by night
the horses cook some happy smiles
the kookaburra fight.
My feet are cool here,
and light air
infiltrates my lung
the sweetly scented
mandarin
seeps deep into my tounge.

No comments: